What do the numbers and letters in my licence number mean?
- Digit 1–5: The first five characters of the surname (extra 9's added for names shorter than 5 letters)
- Digit 6: The decade digit from the year of birth (e.g. for 1977 it would be 7)
- Digit 7–8: The month of birth (+5 foir the first chareacter if female)
- Digit 9–10: The day in the month of birth
- Digit 11: The year digit from the year of birth (e.g. for 1977 it would be 7)
- Digit 12–13: The first two initials of the first names, (9 if no middle name)
- Digit 14: Arbitrary digit - often 9
- Digit 15–16: Two computer digits
Can I work out my licence number?
Unfortunately it's not possible to work out your exact licence number from your name and date of birth. The final two digits in your licence number are random.